Monday 18 February 2013

Pearls Of Wisdom from Bangsandabun


If you’re a blogger and you don’t know Bangs allow me to introduce you to a great blogger but also someone who is a real grafter – she has put the hours in and she knows what she is talking about – we love this post by her as it is a lesson to all bloggers ………. 
Please heed and remember we all need to act humble someday’s
I met with a PR last week who regaled me with stories of how she gets bombarded with requests for free product from bloggers. Oh dear. I always feel a little embarrassed as a blogger when I hear that. I’ve written before about the sense of entitlement newer bloggers seem to have, but perhaps it’s time we examined in more detail how the PR/blogger relationship works specifically in relation to free product.
The great thing about blogging is that you can be your own boss and make your own rules. That is also one of the things that makes it a bit of a minefield for PRs. I think as the power and influence of the blogger grows, there has been a tendency for bloggers to…how shall I put this? Be a bit up our own asses. So let’s look at how and why product is distributed to bloggers.
How do I get on a PRs radar?
This is a question I’m often asked, mostly by new bloggers. I find it an odd question. I blogged for two years with no knowledge that PRs even looked at blogs . Whether or not you are in contact with PRs or ‘on their radar’ should have no bearing in how well you blog. Your first, and really only priority when you start out, should be producing good content. If you feel you need an abundance of free product in order to be able to do that, well, you got into this for the wrong reasons.
You will get on a PRs radar when you are producing good work that interests them. When you have an audience who are reacting to and sharing your posts. But being on their radar should be far from your main concern when starting out.
Why won’t they send me things?
Well there are a number of reasons. PRs are usually allocated a certain amount of product. They distribute that to the people they feel will be able to get the word out best. Keep in mind, the PRs have to justify their every move to the brand, their client. So, imagine being the PR in the client meeting trying to justify why they sent product to a brand new blogger who doesn’t have much of an audience or influence, they just, you know, badgered you until you gave them something. Awkward conversation. Wrongly targeting your media outreach, well, that’s the kind of thing that can lose you a client.
It’s all good getting in a huff about it, but just think about it from a brand perspective. If I were a brand, I’d absolutely want my product to go to bloggers with good traffic, lots of Twitter followers, a proven influence that will benefit my brand. It’s a business.
Can I approach a PR?
Absolutely. I do, if they work with a brand I feel is in keeping with my blog, definitely. But I always outline why it would be beneficial for them to work with me, what my blog and brand can deliver, the type of coverage I can provide. Discussing stats always seems to be a bit taboo, but this is the one instance where you should be expected to cough them up. And let’s stop with the inflating of statistics too, shall we? There are tools that anyone can use to find out the kind of traffic you get, so inflating them can often leave you looking a bit silly. Just be honest – if what you have to offer isn’t right for that brand, it might be right for another.
But I want to do reviews and stuff!
And you can still do that. There are plenty of people doing reviews and talking about brands who are getting no kickback whatsoever from the brand itself. There are plenty of fashion bloggers who do daily ‘what I wore’ type posts using clothes they’ve bought themselves, same goes for beauty bloggers and other genres. The key to a blog taking off is in your passion, your knowledge, your expertise – work with what you have for now and down the road, when you’ve built up a following and a reputation for doing good posts around your chosen subject, PRs and brands will take notice. It takes time.
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: it all comes down to hard work and patience.

2 comments:

  1. I'd also like to add when you do start getting offers to try a product that it actually fits with your blog. I've turned down some fabulous makeup but as I only blog about skincare and bath & body I knew it would look odd. It's lovely to get something for free but it has no value if you just grab everything there is going.

    I've spent thousands of my own money on buying products to review and I think if you are true beauty maniac you would anyway. Getting something for free is a bonus and should be treated as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on Annabella - be true to yourself - it stands out a mile when folk have taken a shilling to blog about something which doesn't relate to their blog and the reader spots it

      Delete